Phil is a fullstack software developer interested in improving developer and user experience alike.
As a software developer, I tend to play a supporting role in writing library functions, doing refactors, creating reusable components, and designing feature architectures. I work with my team to create software that is maintainable, understandable, and feature-complete, while balancing our time-to-market. Software has no value until it’s in our users hands.
- Scala (Java)
PaaS / IaaS
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- Administration of an Azure DevOps (previously VSTS) organization of ~20 users, including build pipelines, code repositories, artifacts, and project management
Tools & utilities
- Doppler.io for secrets management of multiple projects across multiple environments
- Netlify and Render.com for continous deployments
- Chef.io & Ansible for managing reproducible builds
employment historyGoFetch | Software Engineer
Mar 2021 - Present
- Set up a design system with the assistance of our Design team, using Storybook to demo new components.
- Added front end features to React and React Native apps
- Added backend features, such as the prototype of a buy-now-pay-later payment plan system, to a GraphQL API written in Elixir
- Continously improved our development experience by…
- Adding automatic checks to our release process to ensure that Elixir API PRs satisfy code formatting conventions
- Migrating one React app from Webpack & Jest to Vite & Vitest to improve start up time and improve hot-replacement performance
- Adding tools to track our code quality, including metrics like file length and cognitive complexity
- Improved quality in an existing continuous delivery pipeline, with the goal of creating a true continuous deployment system.
- Migrated project from three environments to five, to implement a clearer pipeline
- Implemented a shared secret management tool (Doppler)
May 2020 - Feb 2021
- Designed and developed IT policies for First Nations bands
- Supported EducationPlanner BC’s integration with a new student management ERP by building a prototype API client and by writing documentation
- Created a Wordpress website for a B.C. Ministry, balancing input from a design team, an agent acting for the ministry, and the ministry itself.
- Designed, gathered requirements for, and built an interactive visualization site for a port using Vue.js
April 2018 - August 2019
As a software developer, I worked on creating an automated test framework. As well, I
- wrote production Scala and Java code;
- participated in code review, design, and development;
- focused on abstracting interactions with RF testing hardware for general use; we did functional programming in an Object-Oriented world.
In my role as Junior DevOps Engineer,
- I assisted and de-risked a migration from GoCD, Nexus, and GitLab to Azure DevOps (previously VSTS);
- built and maintained build infrastructure using Chef.io including developer VMs and build agents;
- automated builds, including converting Mercurial projects into Git
September 2016 - February 2017
- Used React, Redux, PhantomJS, CSS and HTML for web development, as well as performing miscellaneous tasks for up-and-coming streaming service aggregator.